This recipe came to me when I was living in Spain with my two daughters and my then-husband. Our officers' wives' club put together a cookbook, and this particular recipe was one of my family's favorites. Jean Petersen, who is now deceased, is the wonderful lady who submitted this recipe for the cookbook, and I now pass it along to you.
- 3 c
- cooked, cubed chicken
- small onion, minced
- 3 clove
- garlic, chopped
- 1 can(s)
- cream of mushroom soup
- 1 c
- sour cream (i use ranch dressing)
- 1/2 tsp
- dried oregano, crushed
- 16-ounce can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 tsp
- chili powder
- corn tortillas, quartered
- 2 c
- shredded monterey jack cheese
How to Make Mexicali Chicken
- 1In a 4-cup glass mesure, microwave onion and garlic on high for 3-4 minutes. Add chicken, soup and sour cream (or ranch dressing) to onion/garlic mixture and thoroughly combine. Set aside.
- 2Combine tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and oregano in a 4-cup glass measure. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until sauce is bubbly, stirring once halfway through cooking time.
- 3In a 9/13" glass baking dish, layer 4-5 tortillas. Top with half the chicken mixture, tomato sauce mixture and cheese. Repeat with another layer tortillas and remaining chicken mixture, sauce and cheese.
Cover tightly with plastic wrap, microwave on high for 5 minutes. Microwave on medium, 50% power for 10 minutes. Then cover with aluminum foil and allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.