How to Make Maria's Vegetarian Potato Tacos
- Peel and cut potatoes into large cubes.
- Boil a large pot of water. Once the water is boiling, add chopped potatoes and reduce heat to medium/low.
- While potatoes are boiling, heat tortillas over the stove (or on a tortilla iron, if you have one) to make them soft and pliable.
- When potatoes are soft enough to be easily cut through by a fork. Drain the pot and put the soft potatoes back in.
- Add butter and mash. Season with salt to taste.
- Spoon a fair amount of mashed potato mixture into each tortilla, fold over tortilla, and pin together with toothpicks (so they look like tacos).
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil. Once oil is heated, put folded tacos in two at a time, flat on their sides.
- Flip tacos over for even tortilla frying. Take them off the skillet before they burn! (while they are still oily, sprinkle a bit of salt on the tortillas for a little more flavor ;)
- Top with shredded cheese, Maria's red chile salsa*, and any other filling of your choice.