Jalapeno Chicken Casserole
1 mediumonion fine dice
2 Tbspcanola oil
1 can(s)cream of chicken soup
1 can(s)cream of celery soup
1/2 tspgarlic powder
4boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in 1 inch cubes
1 cchicken broth, low salt
4 ozcan diced pickled jalapenos in juice *
2 1/2 - 3 cmonterey jack cheese ( i use lots of cheese) **
8-10flour tortillas-cut in fourths
·salt and pepper to taste ( i find it usually has plenty with the soup & broth)
How to Make Jalapeno Chicken Casserole
- In large skillet over medium high heat, add oil and cook onion til soft then add chicken and cook thru.
( If you have have precooked chicken on hand, just add to onion when they are tender to reheat)
- Then add both soups, broth, garlic and jalapenos (you can put as many or as few as you like...I use the whole 4 oz can with the juice, but i like hot food). Bring to gentle boil then reduce to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- In a square casserole dish ( I use my 8x8 pyrex) start with a ladle full of the soup mixture, then the tortilla triangles to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Then Layer as follows:
soup mixture (to cover tortillas)
then a layer of cheese
more tortillas then
more soup mixture
I usually end up with 3 layers and end with soup.
Bake uncovered 350 degrees (with dish on a cookie sheet to catch spills) for 40 min.
- Remove then add the reserved cheese to the top and return to oven for additional 10 minutes til bubbly & brown.
Allow to sit 10-20 min before serving ( if you can wait that long)
- * can substitute with 4 oz can diced green chiles
** Reserve 1/2 cup of cheese to top with after cooking