Jalapeno Chicken Casserole
- 1 medium
- onion fine dice
- 2 Tbsp
- canola oil
- 1 can(s)
- cream of chicken soup
- 1 can(s)
- cream of celery soup
- 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder
- boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 c
- chicken broth, low salt
- 4 oz
- can diced pickled jalapenos in juice *
- 2 1/2 - 3 c
- monterey jack cheese ( i use lots of cheese) **
- flour tortillas-cut in fourths
- salt and pepper to taste ( i find it usually has plenty with the soup & broth)
How to Make Jalapeno Chicken Casserole
- 1In large skillet over medium high heat, add oil and cook onion til soft then add chicken and cook thru.
( If you have have precooked chicken on hand, just add to onion when they are tender to reheat)
- 2Then add both soups, broth, garlic and jalapenos (you can put as many or as few as you like...I use the whole 4 oz can with the juice, but i like hot food). Bring to gentle boil then reduce to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- 3In a square casserole dish ( I use my 8x8 pyrex) start with a ladle full of the soup mixture, then the tortilla triangles to cover the bottom of the dish.
- 4Then Layer as follows:
soup mixture (to cover tortillas)
then a layer of cheese
more tortillas then
more soup mixture
I usually end up with 3 layers and end with soup.
Bake uncovered 350 degrees (with dish on a cookie sheet to catch spills) for 40 min.
- 5Remove then add the reserved cheese to the top and return to oven for additional 10 minutes til bubbly & brown.
Allow to sit 10-20 min before serving ( if you can wait that long)
- 6* can substitute with 4 oz can diced green chiles
** Reserve 1/2 cup of cheese to top with after cooking