Huevos Verde con Jamón (Green Eggs and Ham)
- 2 c
- queso fresco, crumbled and divided into ½
- corn tortillas
- 2 c
- ham, cubed
- 8 large
- salt and pepper to taste
- green (tomatillo) sauce to cover (recipe below)
- 1 lb
- fresh tomatillos, husked and washed or 2 (13 ounce) cans tomatillos, drained
- 6 - 7
- serrano chiles, stemmed and finely diced
- 6 sprig(s)
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small
- yellow onion, chopped
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 2 c
- chicken broth
- lime, juiced
- sliced avocado
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
QUESADILLA WITH EGGS ON TOP
GREEN SAUCE (TOMATILLA SALSA) IT'S EASIER IF YOU MAKE THIS AHEAD OF TIME
How to Make Huevos Verde con Jamón (Green Eggs and Ham)
- 1Place a dry griddle or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2Place a tortilla on the skillet and sprinkle with cheese.
- 3Add ½ cup of ham and top with more cheese.
- 4Place another tortilla on top. Cook until light golden for about 1 - 2 minutes.
- 5Flip over and cook until golden brown. Set aside on a plate.
- 6Cook the eggs to your preference. Once eggs have been cooked, place over tortillas; salt and pepper to taste and top with Green Sauce (see below).
- 7Green (Tomatillo) Sauce Directions:
(I make this ahead of time and keep it in the fridge to use on this and many other dishes.)
- 8In a medium saucepan add fresh tomatillos, chiles, and enough water to just cover.
- 9Cook for 15 minutes and drain. (For canned tomatillos, just drain and remove the thin, clear skins.)
- 10Place tomatillos, cilantro, onion and garlic in a blender or food processor. Process to almost smooth-leave a little texture.
- 11In a large saucepan heat the oil over medium high heat. When oil is hot add all the
sauce at once, stirring constantly until darkened-about 5 minutes.
- 12Add the broth, return to a boil and reduce heat to medium and simmer until
thickened, around 10 minutes.
- 13Remove from heat, squeeze in fresh lime juice, stir again, taste and add salt if needed. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate if not using immediately.