Huevos Verde con Jamón (Green Eggs and Ham)
QUESADILLA WITH EGGS ON TOP
2 cqueso fresco, crumbled and divided into ½
2 cham, cubed
·salt and pepper to taste
·green (tomatillo) sauce to cover (recipe below)
GREEN SAUCE (TOMATILLA SALSA) IT'S EASIER IF YOU MAKE THIS AHEAD OF TIME
1 lbfresh tomatillos, husked and washed or 2 (13 ounce) cans tomatillos, drained
6 - 7serrano chiles, stemmed and finely diced
6 sprig(s)fresh cilantro, chopped
1 smallyellow onion, chopped
2 clovegarlic, minced
2 Tbspvegetable oil
2 cchicken broth
How to Make Huevos Verde con Jamón (Green Eggs and Ham)
- Place a dry griddle or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place a tortilla on the skillet and sprinkle with cheese.
- Add ½ cup of ham and top with more cheese.
- Place another tortilla on top. Cook until light golden for about 1 - 2 minutes.
- Flip over and cook until golden brown. Set aside on a plate.
- Cook the eggs to your preference. Once eggs have been cooked, place over tortillas; salt and pepper to taste and top with Green Sauce (see below).
- Green (Tomatillo) Sauce Directions:
(I make this ahead of time and keep it in the fridge to use on this and many other dishes.)
- In a medium saucepan add fresh tomatillos, chiles, and enough water to just cover.
- Cook for 15 minutes and drain. (For canned tomatillos, just drain and remove the thin, clear skins.)
- Place tomatillos, cilantro, onion and garlic in a blender or food processor. Process to almost smooth-leave a little texture.
- In a large saucepan heat the oil over medium high heat. When oil is hot add all the
sauce at once, stirring constantly until darkened-about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, return to a boil and reduce heat to medium and simmer until
thickened, around 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, squeeze in fresh lime juice, stir again, taste and add salt if needed. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate if not using immediately.