Homemade Refried Beans
Found this recipe and pictures on: whatdidyoueat.typepad.com
- 2 Tbsp
- vegetable oil, lard or bacon grease
- medium white onion, chopped
- garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 c
- undrained, seasoned cooked beans, slightly warm (homemade or can use canned)
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 c
- crumbled mexican queso fresco, queso anejo, pressed or cheese of your choice
How to Make Homemade Refried Beans
- 1In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until deep golden, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add another portion of the beans, mash them in, and continue until all the beans have been added and coarsely mashed.
- 4Add about a cup of bean liquid or water and stir frequently over the heat until the beans are still a little soupy (they’ll thicken as they sit). Taste and season with salt if needed.