- 7 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 Tbsp
- 3 - 4 Tbsp
- solid shortening (lard or crisco, etc.)
- 2 c
- hot water (tap water not boiling water)
How to Make Flour Tortillas
- 1In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening. Combine well with fingers.
- 2Knead well with your hands. Add in the water a little at a time until the dough comes together. It should not be wet but should not be flakey dry. Knead the dough for about 90 seconds, until elastic.
- 3Cover dough with damp kitchen towel and let sit for @ 30 minutes. Knead the dough just a little, again. It should be smooth.
- 4Form the dough into small balls (@2" diameter). Lay out on flat surface and cover with damp cloth.
- 5Heat up your griddle or Comal to a very high heat.
- 6Using a rolling pin, roll out the patties into tortillas, as thin and round as possible (this takes a lot of practice!). Roll one tortilla at a time…while one is cooking, you can be rolling out the next one. Keep the remaining dough balls under the damp cloth until you are ready to roll them.
- 7Place tortilla on the hot griddle.
- 8Cook the tortilla @ 30 seconds on each side, flipping twice. The tortilla should puff up. Press down with spatula.
- 9Take tortilla off the griddle and place in a clean towel to keep warm.
- 10Continue with the remaining dough.
- 11I wrap the tortillas in the clean towel and then put them in an airtight container.