7 call purpose flour
2 tspbaking powder
3 - 4 Tbspsolid shortening (lard or crisco, etc.)
2 chot water (tap water not boiling water)
How to Make Flour Tortillas
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening. Combine well with fingers.
- Knead well with your hands. Add in the water a little at a time until the dough comes together. It should not be wet but should not be flakey dry. Knead the dough for about 90 seconds, until elastic.
- Cover dough with damp kitchen towel and let sit for @ 30 minutes. Knead the dough just a little, again. It should be smooth.
- Form the dough into small balls (@2" diameter). Lay out on flat surface and cover with damp cloth.
- Heat up your griddle or Comal to a very high heat.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the patties into tortillas, as thin and round as possible (this takes a lot of practice!). Roll one tortilla at a time…while one is cooking, you can be rolling out the next one. Keep the remaining dough balls under the damp cloth until you are ready to roll them.
- Place tortilla on the hot griddle.
- Cook the tortilla @ 30 seconds on each side, flipping twice. The tortilla should puff up. Press down with spatula.
- Take tortilla off the griddle and place in a clean towel to keep warm.
- Continue with the remaining dough.
- I wrap the tortillas in the clean towel and then put them in an airtight container.