★★★★★ 1 vote
- corn tortillas
- 1 large can(s)
- red enchilada sauce
- 1 bunch
- green onion (tops only)
- 1 1/2 c
- monterey jack cheese
- enough cooking oil to fry the corn tortillas
How to Make Chillaquillas
- 1In Large skillet heat oil. Cut Corn tortillas into bite size pieces. Fry the Corn Tortillas until crispy. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel.
- 2After all the corn tortillas are fried and drained, discard all but 1Tbl of hot oil from pan. Add corn tortillas back into skillet. Pour Enchilada sauce over the corn tortillas. Stir to coat all tortillas with sauce. Bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes
- 3While tortillas and enchilada sauce are cooking together, chop the green onion tops and grate cheese. Remove skillet from heat sprinkle with cheese and green onions. Cover for about 10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- 4A variation to this recipe : before you remove from heat add cheese and onion crack 2-4 eggs on top. Reduce heat to low, cover and let eggs cook on top. The steam will soft cook the eggs.