- 2 large
- chopped onions
- cloves minced fresh garlic
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 28 oz
- can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 15 oz
- can tomato sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp
- chili powder
- 1 tsp
- 2 tsp
- ground oregano
- 1/2 tsp
- ground cumin
- 12 oz
- cream style cottage cheese
- 2 c
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 oz
- can chopped green chiles
- flour tortillas
- 1/2 c
- olive oil
- 1 can(s)
- pinto beans rinsed and drained
How to Make Cheese Enchiladas
- 1Saute onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet until tender.
- 2Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, salt, oregano and cumin.
- 3Simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Set aside 2 cups enchilada sauce in a shallow bowl.
- 5Spoon 1 cup sauce into a lightly greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish; set aside.
- 6Reserve remaining sauce in skillet.
- 7Combine cottage cheese, 1 cup monterey jack cheese and chiles; stir well, and set aside.
- 8Fry tortillas, one at a time, in ½ cup olive oil for 1 second on each side or just until tortillas are softened.
- 9Drain on paper towels; dip each tortilla in the reserved enchilada sauce.
- 10Add beans to remaining sauce in skillet; stir well.
- 11Spread about 2 tablespoons cottage cheese mixture on each tortilla.
- 12Spoon about ½ cup bean mixture over half of each tortilla; fold tortilla in half.
- 13Transfer each enchilada to reserved baking dish.
- 14Top with remaining sauce and cheese.
- 15Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.