2 largechopped onions
4cloves minced fresh garlic
2 Tbspolive oil
28 ozcan tomatoes, undrained and chopped
15 ozcan tomato sauce
1-2 Tbspchili powder
2 tspground oregano
1/2 tspground cumin
12 ozcream style cottage cheese
2 cshredded monterey jack cheese
4 ozcan chopped green chiles
1/2 colive oil
1 can(s)pinto beans rinsed and drained
How to Make Cheese Enchiladas
- Saute onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, salt, oregano and cumin.
- Simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside 2 cups enchilada sauce in a shallow bowl.
- Spoon 1 cup sauce into a lightly greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish; set aside.
- Reserve remaining sauce in skillet.
- Combine cottage cheese, 1 cup monterey jack cheese and chiles; stir well, and set aside.
- Fry tortillas, one at a time, in ½ cup olive oil for 1 second on each side or just until tortillas are softened.
- Drain on paper towels; dip each tortilla in the reserved enchilada sauce.
- Add beans to remaining sauce in skillet; stir well.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons cottage cheese mixture on each tortilla.
- Spoon about ½ cup bean mixture over half of each tortilla; fold tortilla in half.
- Transfer each enchilada to reserved baking dish.
- Top with remaining sauce and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.