Burrito Rice Casserole
I came up with this one night while cooking rice, beans and burritos seperately for a Mexican dinner. I put them all together and baked it up, and my family loved it. My Boy Scout Troop loves it too. I use a Dutch oven to prepare it in the field. This feeds alot. My photo showes the dish cooked up in a Dutch Oven before I have melted the cheese.
- 2-2½ lb
- ground meat
- 1/2 c
- finely chopped onion
- 1 can(s)
- refried beans
- 8 oz
- can of tomato sauce
- 1-2 pkg
- mexican spices (or use chili powder etc)
- burrito skins
- 1 can(s)
- enchilada sauce (red)
- 2 pkg
- spanish rice mixture
- 1/2 lb
- skinless smoked sausage, cut into small slices then quartered
- 8 oz
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or more if desired)
- 4 oz
- shredded pepper jack cheese
How to Make Burrito Rice Casserole
Prepare rice according to package directions, add tomato sauce and chopped smoked sausage. If needed, add spices to pep it up a bit. When cooked, spread in baking pan
Brown onion in a small amount of oil, then add meat and cook until no longer pink and drain. Add refried beans, tomato sauce and spices to your taste preferences (I like it kind of spicey). You can use a package of taco seasoning if desired. Should be thick, not soupy.
- 3Divide meat/bean mixture into 10 equal portions and place 1 portion on each of the 10 burrito skins. Spread meat mixture across burrito and add some of the cheese if desired. Roll up and place seam side down on top of rice.
- 4When all of the burritos are in the pan, pour the red sauce over all of the burritos and use a spoon to spread the sauce all over to coat the burrito skins so they are all covered. This keeps the burrito skins from getting hard.
- 5Cover pan with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until heated through. Remove from oven, remove foil and sprinkle with remaining cheese and return to oven to melt cheese… Serve with sour cream and taco sauce if desired.