Black Bean and Quinoa Salad
1 1/2 cblack beans, canned rinsed
1 1/2 cquinoa, cooked
1 1/2 Tbspred wine vinegar
1 1/2 ccanned corn, rinsed
3/4 cgreen bell pepper, chopped
2 tspjalapeno pepper, pickled,seeded,minced-you can find pickled jalapeno slices in the mexican section of grocery
1/4 ccilantro leaves, freshly chopped
·to make dressing:
5 Tbsplime juice, fresh
1 1/2 tspcumin, ground
1/2 tspsalt or to taste
1/4 cextra-virgin olive oil - or up to 1/3 cup
How to Make Black Bean and Quinoa Salad
- I buy the already washed, ready to go quinoa in the box.It is called Ancient Harvest Brand and is pre-washed, No rinsing! and cooks in only 10-15 minutes. If you cannot find it: In a bowl wash quinoa in at least 5 changes of cold water, rubbing grains and letting them settle before pouring off most of water until water runs clear and then drain in large sieve.
- In a saucepan of salted water cook quinoa 10 minutes.
- Drain quinoa in sieve and rinse under cold water
- Set sieve over a saucepan of boiling water (quinoa should not touch water) and steam quinoa, covered with a kitchen towel and lid, until fluffy and dry, about 10 minutes. (add water as needed if level is low).
- While quinoa is cooking, in a small bowl toss beans with vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and cool. Add beans, corn, bell pepper, pickled jalepenos and cilantro and toss well.
- Make dressing: In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, salt, cumin and add oil in a stream, whisking until mixed well.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well with salt and pepper to taste. Salad may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered, Bring to room temperature before serving.