Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas
1/3 cfrozen corn kernals, thawed
2 tspvegetable oil, plus more for brushing tortillas
1/3 cminced red onion
1 tspminced garlic
1/2 tspchili powder
1/3 cblack beans, canned
2 tsplime juice
2flour tortillas, 8 inch size
2/3 cpepper-jack cheese, 3 oz.
How to Make Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas
- Heat a large nonstick skillet to medium high heat.
Add corn and cook, stirring, until it becomes brown and pops. 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Heat 2 tsp veg. oil in same skillet, add onion and cook til softened. Add garlic and chili powder, cooking about one minute more.
- Add the beans, cook for about 1 minute. Add corn back into skillet. Press mixture with a spatula to lightly crush the black beans. Transfer all to a medium bowl. Stir in lime juice.
- Wipe out the skillet and return it to medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add one tortilla and toast it for about 2 minutes when it should puff and soften.
Flip and cook the other side for about a minute.
Remove the tortilla to a cutting board.
Repeat cooking with the second tortilla while assembling the first.
- To the first tortilla: Sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese, half of the corn and bean mixture, leaving a 1/2 in. border. Fold the tortilla in half and press to flatten. Brush with oil, sprinkle with salt and set aside. Finish the second tortilla.
- Place both completed tortillas in the skillet oiled side down. Cook over medium heat until well browned.
Brush and salt the other side and flip them. Cook another 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Remove to a cutting board and cool for 3 minutes. Halve each quesadilla and serve with salsa, guacamole or sour cream. Enjoy!