MEATLOAF FOR A CROWD
- 1 1/2 c
- quick oats
- 2 tsp
- jane's mixed up crazy salt
- 1 tsp
- lawry's seasoned salt
- 1 tsp
- plain salt
- 1/2 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 2 can(s)
- whole tomatoes with juice
- 3 lb
- ground beef
- 1/2 c
- chopped sweet onion
- 3 large
- eggs, beaten (1 if making 1/2 recipe)
How to Make MEATLOAF FOR A CROWD
- 1Gather and prep ingredients. Preheat oven to 400° F.
- 2In a large bowl, combine oatmeal, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- 3Pulse tomatoes in food processor to lightly chop (do not puree!) or use kitchen shears to cut/chop tomatoes in their can. Set aside. (NOTE: You could use a can of diced tomatoes, but the texture will be negatively affected.)
- 4Place ground beef in the bowl with the oats; add 2 cups of the chopped tomatoes and juice (reserve remainder for topping,) 1/2 cup chopped onion and 3 beaten eggs.
- 5(Note: At this point, food safe plastic gloves are recommended, but optional. Also, for easier removal from pan, you may wish to place a parchment paper "sling" in each of 2 loaf pans before adding meat mixture.)
- 6Use hands to combine the ingredients thoroughly, but try to avoid overworking the mixture.
- 7Divide into 2 equal portions; place in loaf pans, patting mixture down well to remove air pockets.
- 8Bake at 400° F, on middle rack, for 45 minutes.
- 9Remove from oven, drain off as much of the liquid as possible.
- 10Equally pour and spread 1/2 of reserved tomatoes & juice over top of each meatloaf; return to oven and bake for additional 15 to 30 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.