Venison (DEER) with Gravy
My Mother-in-Law Eunice Martin taught me how to make Deer Steak and Gravy. She was an Angel who has passed on. I enjoyed watching city boys eat it thinking it was Beef all the while saying they didn't like Deer Meat
How to Make Venison (DEER) with Gravy
- 1Soak Cleaned Hind Quarter in Sink of Cold Water, Quart of Vinegar, 1 cup of salt over night.
Clean means no White Film or Grissel on meat just pure Red Meat please.
- 2After Soaking 12 hours at least. Remove from water and drain,(you may want to change this water once) wash with cold water and drain again.
Cut meat into 2 or 3 inch blocks
Put meat blocks (one at a time) between or under an old towel. Beat both sides with meat tenderizer until flat, and about 3/4 inch thick. Put in bowl or bag with Marinade (see my recipe below)
Let soak in marinade for about 6 hours or even over night.
- 3Drain meat, but do not wash. In a large bowl of flour coat each piece of meat good (if you let sit in flour for a while it will be better)
Cook in shortening (like a pork chop) Browning each side good. Salt and Pepper each side when cooking.
In slow cooker, put about 2 inches of water and turn on high. After browning this meat lay into water in slow cooker. Cook another batch (do not burn shortening) add more if needed, but do not through away browned flour in pan. When you finish browning meat and it is in slow cooker, slice a large onion (cannot get to much onion) Also these slices may be nice and thick or they may go away. Depends on what you want.. In the same pan, add flour until all shortening has been soaked up. Brown this like a rue x, then add onion and some garlic minced (1 tablespoon) and slowly let onion and Garlic glaze over. Remember the darker the rue x the darker the gravy.
- 4When onion has cooked some, cover everything in frying pan with water and bring to a slow boil stirring and dissolving mixture to a gravy like state. Pour this entire pan full of onions and gravy into meat in slow cooker. This now can be thinned a little with water, but it should be covered good. It will thicken as it cooks. You can adjust this gravy by adding water or letting it steam off without top. More than likely you will need more water once it starts to boil. Taste and stir gravy every now and then, adding salt and pepper, Worcestershire and Garlic to your taste.
Problem with to thin? Just make more rue x and add.
- 5Cook on medium slow cooker heat about 8 hours..it will be very tender. cut with a fork. Great over Creamed Potatoes.
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Montreal Seasoning
1/4 cup Garlic Powder (or several cloves garlic chopped)
Optional (Teriaki Sauce)