- young pheasant
- oil or melted butter
- salt and pepper
- 4 slice
- unsmoked fatty bacon
- approx. 2 1/2 cups giblet strock
- 8 oz
- button mushrooms, cooked
- bread sauce - optional. (please see bottom of direction #3)
How to Make Roast Pheasant
- 1Pre-heat oven to 200C./400F./ Gas Mark 6
Wash the pheasant & dry thoroughly. Brush all over with oil or melted butter, then sprinkle liberally with salt & pepper. Carefully stretch the bacon slices with a sharp knife & use to cover the pheasant.
- 2Put the pheasant on a rack in a roasting pan & pour in 2 cups of the stock. Roast in the pre-heated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the bird is tender, basting occasionally. Remove the bacon slices for the last 10 minutes to brown the skin.
- 3When pheasant is ready, transfer to a hot serving dish & arrange the cooked mushrooms around the pheasant. Keep hot. Using the cooked juices in the roasting pan, make a gravy. If the gravy is too thick add the remaining 1/2 cup stock. Serve.
This dish can be served with Bread Sauce instead of Gravy, or both can be served separately. Enjoy.