Herb Roasted Turkey (Cooked in Oven Cooking Bag)
For years I've been roasting all my turkeys in those oven cooking bags. Those oven cooking bags are a life saver, and I can roast a whole turkey in less than 3 hours. I just can't imagine cooking a turkey any other way. Plus the pan drippings from this turkey, makes the most wonderful tasting gravy. (See *Note before prepping and roasting the bird, and the link to the recipe as to how I make the gravy.)
- reynolds® oven cooking bag, turkey size (for 8-24 lbs.)
- tablespoon flour
- 1 turkey
- (12 to 24 lbs.) already thawed (*see note)
- carrots, peeled and rinsed
- 2 stalks
- celery, cut in half if need be
- a few
- whole cloves of garlic, peeled
- medium size onion, peeled & cut in half
- About 2
- tablespoons vegetable oil (*see note)
- 1 tsp.
- dried thyme
- 1 tsp.
- dried rosemary
- 1 tsp.
- seasoned salt
- tablespoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 tsp.
- regular table salt (or desired amount)
- 1/8 tsp.
- ground black pepper (or desired amount)
OIL, HERBS & SEASONINGS TO USE:
How to Make Herb Roasted Turkey (Cooked in Oven Cooking Bag)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Spray inside of oven cooking bag with a nonstick cooking spray, to reduce the turkey from sticking to the oven bag. (This step is optional.)
- 3Shake the tablespoon of flour in the Reynolds Oven Cooking Bag, then place the bag in a large roasting pan which is at least 2 inches deep.
- 4Remove neck and giblets from turkey.
- 5Rinse turkey; pat dry.
- 6Brush turkey with the vegetable oil. (See *Note)
- 7Combine the thyme, rosemary, seasoned salt, sage, table salt, and black pepper, then sprinkle and rub the herb mixture inside the cavity of the bird, plus over the entire the turkey; turning to coat evenly.
- 8Place turkey inside oven cooking bag. Add the vegetables and cloves of garlic inside the bird cavity. Close oven bag with nylon tie, and then cut 6 (1/2-inch) slits in top of cooking bag. Tuck ends of bag in pan.
- 9Bake: 8-12 pound turkeys 1-1/2 to 2 hours, 12-16 pound turkeys 2 to 2-1/2 hours, 16-20 pound turkeys 2-1/2 to 3 hours, 20-24 pound turkeys 3 to 3-1/2 hours. (See *Note for roasting a 16 and a 19 pound turkey.)
- 10For easy slicing, let turkey rest in oven bag (on top your stove) for 20 minutes before opening. If the turkey sticks to the oven bag, gently loosen the bag from the turkey, before opening the bag.
- 11*Note: When it comes to prepping the bird, I do not brush the turkey with vegetable oil. Also, when it comes to baking the turkeys, I'll bake a (16 lb.) turkey for 2 hours & 15 minutes, and a (19 lb.) turkey for exactly 2 hours & 30 minutes. But, when I add the herbs and seasonings to the 19 lb. turkey, I use the following amount... 1-1/2 tablespoons of rubbed sage, 1-1/2 teaspoons each... of Lawry's Seasoned Salt, dried thyme, and rosemary, plus I add the 1/2 teaspoon of table salt, and the 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper. And after I bake the 19 lb. turkey, I let it rest on top the stove for 30 minutes, before removing it from the cooking bag.(The pan drippings from this turkey, makes the most wonderful tasting gravy. And this is the gravy I make with the pan drippings: Turkey Gravy)