Vicki Butts (lazyme)
Rock Cornish game hens work well in this recipe if pheasant is unavailable. The birds are browned quickly and then roasted slowly to bring out the flavor while you baste them in an apple brandy sauce. Serve with a green salad and steamed asparagus or broccoli. From the California Culinary Academy.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 3 large
- 1/4 c
- safflower oil
- 3 c
- green apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 c
- onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c
- applejack or calvados
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 c
- half and half
- herbal salt substitute, to taste
- pepper, to taste
How to Make Braised Pheasant
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, quickly brown pheasants in oil on all sides.
- 3Place apples and onions around pheasant.
- 4Pour applejack on top and let it heat for 1 minute, then ignite.
- 5Shake pan until flames subside.
- 6Dust top of pheasant with nutmeg.
- 7Place pan in oven and bake until juice runs clear when tip of knife is inserted in thigh of bird (about 1 hour).
- 8Remove pheasant, cooked apples, and onions to a platter and keep warm in oven.
- 9Transfer pan juices to a saucepan.
- 10Heat over medium-high heat until simmering, then stir in half-and-half.
- 11Let mixture cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently, then season to taste with salt substitute and pepper.
- 12Pour over pheasant and serve.