☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
4 call purpose flour
3/4 tspbaking soda
5 tspbaking powder
3 Tbspbutter crisco
How to Make Boiled Squirrels and Dumplings
- Skin the squirrel then cut in half. Boil in water seasoned generously with salt and pepper for about 15 minutes.
- Touch with fork to make sure it is tender. Then take out squirrel from the broth and add a large can of evaporated milk and ½ stick of butter. Allow to simmer while making your dumplings.
- Sift all dry ingredients. Add Crisco and mix with a pastry blender. Add buttermilk a little at a time stirring the mixture until a soft ball forms (like the consistency of biscuit dough).
- Lay out wax paper or a pastry sheet and sprinkle with flour. Make dough into four balls and roll each ball out thin. If dough is too sticky add more flour. Cut into squares with a knife.
- Bring squirrel broth and pet milk to a boil. Make sure there is enough in the pot to fill at least half the pot. If there is not, add more water.
- Drop dumplings into boiling broth a handful at a time. When they are all in, turn down heat to low, put lid on the pot and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Get out a bowl, add some dumplings and squirrel and enjoy!