Backwoods Surf-n-Turf Andouille and Alligator Chili
Blue Ribbon Recipe
I've never had alligator before and never thought of it in chili, so this recipe caught my eye. Wow! The mix of meats is just right. You can taste the creole seasoning added, but it's not overwhelming. The chili's chunky and stick-to-your-ribs good. The Test Kitchen
1/2 lbdiced andouille sausage
1/2 lballigator meat, diced
1 largebread bowl
3 tspchili powder
2 can(s)diced petite tomatoes, drained, 14.5 oz each
2 can(s)Hormel Chili, no beans; 15 oz each
1 mediumwhite onion, diced
1 mediumgreen bell pepper, diced small
·salt and pepper, to taste
1 cloveminced garlic
3 tspCreole seasoning
4 Tbspunsalted butter, softened
How to Make Backwoods Surf-n-Turf Andouille and Alligator Chili
- Take the sausage and alligator and season with the Creole seasoning thoroughly.
- Heat a heavy duty pot on high. Add the butter and let melt.
- Once melted, cook the sausage and the alligator together until cooked all the way through. It will take about 10 min until golden brown or so.
- Once cooked, drain on a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Take the onions, peppers, and garlic and sweat them in a pan on med-high heat, about 5 min or so.
- Add the canned chili, tomatoes, and the seasoning.
- Mix all together and let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- After simmering for ten minutes, add the meat and continue to let it simmer.
- Once it's finished simmering, take and cut the top of the bread bowl off, so it looks like a lid.
- Take the inside of the bread out and fill with the chili and enjoy.