Savory Roast Turkey
- (12 to 14 lb.) fresh or frozen whole turkey, thawed
- 1 or 2 Tbsp
- accent flavor enhancer
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/4 c
- margarine, melted
- 1 Tbsp
- chopped fresh sage, or 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1 Tbsp
- chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
How to Make Savory Roast Turkey
- 1Heat oven to 325 F. Remove giblets and neck from turkey. Rinse turkey inside and out with cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan.
- 2In small bowl, combine flavor enhancer, salt and pepper. Rub spice mixture on outside of turkey and inside cavity. If desired, fill with your favorite stuffing.
- 3Combine margarine, sage and thyme; brush half of mixture over turkey. Cover turkey with loose tent of foil.
- 4Bake at 325 F. for 15 minutes per pound (20 minutes per pound if stuffed), about 3 to 4 hours or until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180 to 185 F.
- 5To brown turkey, remove foil for last hour of baking. Baste turkey with remaining margarine mixture. Juices should run clear when thigh is pierced with a fork and leg joint should move easily. Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.