My Great Grand Mother's Turkey Dressing
Annie Cassidy Duncan
- 1 lb
- pure pork sausage
- large yellow onions
- loaves of bread (white)
- 2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- dried sage leaves
- 1 Tbsp
- dried thym leaves
- 1 Tbsp
- dried summer savoury leaves
- 2-3 Tbsp
- garlic powder
How to Make My Great Grand Mother's Turkey Dressing
- 1The day before you make the dressing remove the bread from the bags and place on a large tray to dry out. If you are using frozen pork sausage, remove from freezer the day before and thaw in the fridge.
- 2Add a TBSP. of Olive oil to a large skillet, form sausage into 4 or 5 patties and sprikle with a little salt and pepper. Over medium heat brown the patties on both sides and then turn heat down to low. Cover and cook for 20 -25 minutes and remove the patties to a plate to cool. Save the pan juices.
- 3Peel and slice the onions and add to pan drippings, stir to coat the onions and cover and cook stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes. *Note if you are not using a food grinder, then crumble the sausage meat befor cooking and dice the onions.
- 4Cut the bread slices in half to fit in the food ginder or cut into cubes.
- 5If using a grinder start by grinding some of the onions, then some of the sausage and then the bread and continue alternating. If not mix the sausage, onions and bread together.
- 6When finshed the grinding add the salt, pepper, sage thym, savory and garlic and place in large container and refrigerate over night.
- 7Day of cooking remove from the fridge, stir well and taste for additional seasoning. This recipe makes enough dressing to stuff a 25 Ib. bird. I prefer to cook in a covered casserole dish 375o for about 40 minutes