LuLu & Me Presents Chef Karen's Mussels with Lemon
I have been thinking about cooking lighter dishes for the spring. It really will get warmer one of these days!
Our Tuesday night special on April 1st is Mussels with Lemon grass and Ginger. The dish has a bright, fresh zing from the ginger and jalapeno, but is mellowed by the lemon grass and butter.
At Lulu’s, we prepare the plate with a redolent shrimp broth in addition to the lemon grass and ginger. I have streamlined the recipe for you to cook at home, but first, come and have it at Lulu’s.
See you on Tuesday.
- 4 lb
- rope cultured mussels
- 1/2 c
- fresh ginger root peeled and diced
- 1 c
- lemon grass sliced
- scallions diced
- 1/4 c
- sliced garlic
- 1 medium
- jalapeno diced with seeds
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/4 c
- canola oil
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 qt
- dry white wine
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp
- cold, unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon zest
How to Make LuLu & Me Presents Chef Karen's Mussels with Lemon
- 1Prepare the ginger, lemon grass, garlic, scallion, jalapeno and cilantro.
- 2Pulse the above ingredients in a food processor to a medium fine paste.
- 3Clean the mussels.
- 4Heat a skillet large enough to hold the mussels.
- 5Add the ¼ c. Canola oil. Heat until the oil is shimmering.
- 6Add the ginger, lemon grass paste.
- 7Sauté for 1 minute.
- 8Add the mussels. Stir to coat mussels with paste.
- 9Add white wine and water. Cover. Cook until all mussels have opened.
- 10Place mussels in 4 warm bowls
- 11Finish the sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil.
- 12Add the lemon juice, butter and salt to taste.
- 13Bring back to a boil for 1 minute. Strain the sauce through a fine mesh strainer. Discard solids.
- 14Spoon sauce over mussels. Garnish with lemon zest.