American Fish Pie.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- cooked cod or other firm white fish, filleted & skinned.
- cheddar cheese
- white sauce (can be from the supermarket or make your own)
- salt & pepper
- a few grains of cayenne pepper
- cold mashed potato
- grated nutmeg
- butter for greasing
How to Make American Fish Pie.
- 1Flake the fish & grate the cheese. Put the fish into a saucepan with 15g of butter, the white sauce & half the cheese.season to taste & add the cayenne pepper. Put to one side.
- 2Beat the egg until liquid, reserve enough for glazing & stir the rest into the prepared mash potato. Melt the remaining 25g butter & mix it into the potato with salt, pepper & nutmeg to taste.
- 3Line a greased 1 litre pie dish with half the potato mixture. Heat the fish mixture until the sauce bubbles & the cheese has melted. Pour it into the pie dish lined with mashed potato. Cover evenly with the remaining mash potato. Notch the edge to make the potato look like a pastry crust - optional. Glaze with the remaining egg & sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Bake in a fairly hot oven, 190*C, gas mark 5 for 8-12 minutes until it's a golden brown on top.
Serve with vegetable or side salad.