1 largepotato, peeled, diced
2 mediumonions, coarsely chopped
1 Tbspvegetable oil
1 lbground beef
1 lbground pork
1 clovegarlic, minced
1/4 tspcloves or allspice
·salt and pepper to taste
·pie pastry (enough for 2 pies), rolled thick
How to Make TOURTIERE
- Simmer potato cubes and onion in water until potatoes are barely tender.
Drain, but save a bit of the potato water.
- Heat oil in skillet.
Add beef and pork; break up with a fork.
- Add garlic, cinnamon, cloves, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook and stir just until the meat is no longer pink.
Combine meat and potatoes, adding a little potato water if mixture is dry.
- Fit pastry into 9" deep dish pie plate.
Fill with hot meat-potato mixture.
Cover with remaining pastry.
Build up edge and crimp.
Slit top crust in several places.
Brush with beaten egg, if desired.
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 375 and bake 15-25 minutes, until crust is nicely browned.
Serve hot or warm.
NOTE: Meat mixture can be put in Ziploc bags and frozen. Thaw out and put in pie crusts, then bake as above.