Wow- Homemade Italian Beef
2 1/2 lbbeef round or sirloin tip roast
1/2 Tbspred pepper flakes
2 tspdried basil
2 tspdried oregano
3 clovegarlic, minced
8crusty italian or french rolls
***salt and pepper to taste
1 largegreen pepper, seeded and cored, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 largeonion, peelied and julienned
How to Make Wow- Homemade Italian Beef
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Mix together the red pepper flakes, basil, oregano, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Rub half of this mixture on top of the meat. Set the meat in a large roasting pan and set in the oven. Roast for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 250 degrees. Cook for another 20 minutes.
- After the 20 minutes, add the rest of the spice mixture to the quart of water. Pour this into the roasting pan. Cook for another 30 to 45 minutes, or until the temperature of the middle of the roast is 130 degrees.
- Remove the meat and set aside to cool. Set the roasting pan on some burners and turn the heat to medium high. Scrape up any bits that have stuck on the bottom. Reduce mixture slightly for a few minutes. Then turn off the heat and let the mixture cool.
- Cover the meat and place the juice in a container and then stash them in the fridge and let them rest overnight or a day.
- Before you want to eat, transfer the meat to the freezer for 2 hours. Slice the meat as thinly as possible. A slicer or electric knife comes in handy, but a very sharp knife can do it fine.
- Add the liquid in a pot along with the green peppers and onions. Add the grated nutmeg. Reduce the mixture if it is too watery. Remember that you need enough liquid to warm 8 sandwiches. Warm long enough to soften the veggies. Then place a handful of the sliced meat into the juice and cook for 2 minutes.
- With a pair of tongs, transfer the meat straight from the pot to the Italian rolls. Top with a few green pepper strips and onions or use store bought giardiniera. Dip the sandwich in the juice if you want to. Or you can pour a little more of the sauce on top of the meat.