Mary Ann Hanson
I used to make this for camping trips and we would put in the pie irons for hot sandwiches for lunch or supper. I put it in hamburger buns, wrapped in foil, put it in the fridge, and heated in the oven later for a quick supper. I would put it on toasted rye bread and pop under the broiler for a minute or two for open faced sandwiches. It is even good cold.
- 1 can(s)
- spam, cube and then break apart with a potato masher or your hands
- 3 large
- eggs, hard boiled and chopped
- 1 stalk(s)
- celery, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp
- finely minced onion
- 1 c
- grated cheese of your choice
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- prepared mustard
- 3 Tbsp
- sweet or dill relish (your preference)
- mayonnaise just to moisten
How to Make Spamwich Spread
- 1Mix all ingredients adding enough mayonnaise to moisten.
- 2Spread on toasted rye or whole grain toast and broil until the sanwiches are slightly brown and bubbly.
- 3Spread on hamburger buns and wrap in foil. Refrigerate until needed. Heat in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
- 4Preheat a pie iron over the fire. Butter the outside of the bread and place buttered side down on the iron. Place desired amount of filling on one side of bread. Close iron and bake over a fire or BBQ until toasted and hot.
- 5Spread filling on bread and add lettuce or tomato slices as desired.