Portabella "Cheese Steak" Sandwich -Kathy's way
- 3 Tbsp
- "beef" broth (i made my own using 2 tsp vegetarian "beef" base combined with 3 tbsp water)
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 2 tsp
- worcestershire sauce
- 2 clove
- garlic, crushed
- portabella mushrooms (about 6-8 ounces total)
- 2 large
- buns, i used kaiser buns
- 2-4 slice
- cheese, mozzarella, provolone, or your favorite
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 medium
- green pepper, sliced thin, and about 2" in length
- 1 small
- onion, sliced thin
- hellmann's mayonnaise
How to Make Portabella "Cheese Steak" Sandwich -Kathy's way
- 1Mix together "beef" broth, olive oil, worcestershire sauce and garlic. Brush both sides of the portabella mushrooms with marinade, you will have some left, save it, you will use it for cooking the peppers and onion. Allow mushrooms to set about 30 minutes.
- 2Toast the buns. (Brush inside of buns with a little olive oil and place under the broiler until toasted) Set aside.
- 3Slice mushrooms in 1/2 inch wide strips .
- 4Place pepper and onion and the rest of the marinade in a large skillet. Cover and cook over medium heat, about 5-6 minutes, until just tender, stirring occasionally.
- 5Add mushrooms, salt and pepper, cover and cook for about 5 more minutes, until mushrooms are done, stirring once or twice.