Layered Italian Sandwiches
This can be served chilled. But there is a cooking option for those who prefer their sandwiches warmed and heated in the oven.
- 1 large
- round focaccia bread, about 8 inches in diameter
- 7 oz
- container basil pesto, refrigerated
- 4 oz
- sliced hard salami
- 6 large
- lettuce leaves
- 4 large
- plum tomatoes (or roma tomatoes)
- 6 oz
- smoked turkey, thinly sliced
- 4 oz
- sliced provolone cheese
How to Make Layered Italian Sandwiches
- 1Cut focaccia horizontally in half. Spread pesto on both cut sides of focaccia.
- 2Layer salami, lettuce, tomatoes, turkey and cheese on bottom of focaccia; add top half of focaccia. Wrap the sandwich in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour (or up to 6 hours) to blend flavors. Cut into 6 wedges just before serving.
- 3NOTE: For a warm sandwich, try one reviewer’s suggestion of preparing it as listed above (without the lettuce though) and placing the finished sandwich covered with foil on a baking sheet and warming it in the oven just until the provolone is gooey.
Add the lettuce if you wish, cut into 6 wedges, and serve warm.