Adult Grilled Cheese
The cheese mixture would be super easy to prepare in advance and store in a cooler for a camping trip using the pie irons. :)
- 7 oz
- aged cheddar cheese, cut into 24 equal pieces, room temperature
- 2 oz
- brie cheese, rind removed
- 2 Tbsp
- dry white wine or vermouth
- 4 tsp
- minced shallot
- 3 Tbsp
- unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp
- dijon mustard
- 8 slice
- hearty white sandwich or rosemary bread
How to Make Adult Grilled Cheese
- 1Process cheddar, Brie, and wine in food processor until smooth paste is formed, 20 to 30 seconds. Add shallot and pulse to combine, 3 to 5 pulses. Combine butter and mustard in small bowl.
- 2Working on parchment paper-lined counter, spread mustard butter evenly over 1 side of slices of bread. Flip 4 slices of bread over and spread cheese mixture evenly over slices. Top with remaining 4 slices of bread, buttered sides up.
- 3Preheat 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. (Droplets of water should just sizzle when flicked onto pan.) Place 2 sandwiches in skillet; reduce heat to medium-low; and cook until both sides are crispy and golden brown, 6 to 9 minutes per side, moving sandwiches to ensure even browning. Remove sandwiches from skillet and let stand for 2 minutes before serving. Repeat with remaining 2 sandwiches.
- 4(Cooked sandwiches can be held on a wire rack on a baking sheet in a 200˚F oven while the second round cooks.)