- 3-4 lb
- eye of round roast (sliced as thin as possible)
- 1-2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 medium
- onion (diced fine)
- 1/2 c
- 1 c
- 1 c
- dill pickles (chopped)
- 1/2-1 c
- dill pickle juice
- 1 c
- water (for thinning gravy if necessary)
- 1 tsp
- black pepper
- 2 tsp
- kitchen bouquet (for browning gravy)
- tooth picks (to secure roast rolls)
- 1/2 tsp
- salt if needed
How to Make Rouladen
- 1Prep: Stir together onion, mustard, dill pickles,black pepper
- 2spoon 1 tsp of pickle mixture on each slice. Roll up and secure with a toothpick.
Any left over mixture can be added to the gravy at the end.
- 3Add olive oil to a large skillet or dutch oven and brown each roast roll on all sides. Remove from pan.
- 4Add flour to pan drippings to make gravy. Stir constantly, scraping bottom of pan. (this is where the yummy flavor is) Use dill pickle juice to thin the gravy to desired consistency (the gravy can be made thin because the roast will go in in the oven and it will thicken as it cooks) Pictures of the process are not always the most appetizing are they? ;-)
ALSO: Because of the pickle and onion drippings the gravy can be lumpy. I smooth out the gravy with the food processor but this is totally optional.
- 5Add Kitchen Bouquet to the gravy to get a nice deep brown color.(to your preference). It could take more than 2 teaspoons depending on the amount of gravy made.
- 6Place roast rolls in a dutch oven or large pot with a lid and pour gravy over the rolls. Cover and cook on 350* 1-2 hours or until rolls are fork tender.