Holiday Baked Ham
- 7 lb
- ham, rind removed
- whole cloves
- (12 ounce) can coca-cola (not diet!)
- (14 ounce) can pineapple rings or enough to cover ham, drained and juice reserved (i always need at least 2 cans)
- 1 c
- sweet concord grape wine
- maraschino cherries
- fresh bay leaf, for garnish (optional)
How to Make Holiday Baked Ham
- 1Heat oven to 325ºF.
- 2Using a sharp knife, score surface of ham crosswise and lengthwise, forming a crosshatch pattern about 1/4-in deep and 1-in apart.
- 3Place 1 clove in the center of each square. Place ham, fat side up, in a double-layer disposable aluminum roasting pan and pat the brown sugar onto the surface of the ham (Expect some sugar to fall into the roasting pan)
- 4Transfer to oven, and bake until brown sugar just begins to melt, about 30 minutes.
- 5Pour Coca-Cola over ham, mixing with melted sugar in bottom of roasting pan. Baste ham with sugar/Coke mixture.
- 6Return to oven, and bake for 20 minutes more.
- 7Meanwhile, combine 1 cup reserved pineapple juice and wine in a small bowl. Baste ham with pineapple mixture.
- 8Bake ham for a total of 16 minutes per pound, basting every 20 minutes. During the last 20 minutes of baking time, decorate ham with pineapple rings (use 2-3 toothpicks to hold each ring in place or cloves if they are long enough).
- 9Center a cherry in the center of each ring, and attach it with a toothpick.
- 10Transfer ham to a platter, removing all toothpicks and cloves. Garnish ham with fresh bay leaves if desired.