Updated Porcupine Meatballs
Patty Sandifer Baskin
The pan sauce was an afterthought and the picture I took isn't the best. I was on a time crunch and didn't brown the meatballs but they were delicious.
I would also consider using pork sausage in these as well.
How to Make Updated Porcupine Meatballs
- Preheat oven to 350. Mix ground meats with rice/vermicelli mixes; save the seasoning packet
- Add eggs. Form into meatballs. I tend to like my meatballs on the large size but that is all according to preference.
- Brown meatballs in skillet and transfer to baking dish.At this point, save the skillet with the drippings for later. I have a clay pot that I use to make meatballs and baked beans in.
- Mix rice seasoning mixes with 4 cups warm tap water. Pour over meatballs. Adjust water accordingly so that meatballs are covered.
- Cover dish and bake in oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on size of meatballs, until meatballs are done and rice is done.
- Take some of the broth left after removing meatballs and deglaze your pan that the meatballs were browned in and let it reduce to make a delicious pan sauce.