1 (3) lbpackage of lard
20 lbmasa harina
3 cmeat broth
1 cchili blend, or more for a darker blend (chili powder)
2 (5) lbpork roasts
2 (5) lbbeef roasts
·pepper to taste
1/4 lbgarlic powder
1/4 lbground conino (cumin)
1 lbchili blend (chili powder)
4 lbcorn shucks
How to Make Tamales
- Melt lard and add to masa with salt, meat broth, and chili blend. Mix well. Set aside.
- Boil meat in a large stock pot with salt, pepper, garlic, and comino. When meat is tender and well cooked all the way through, remove from stove and chop into fine pieces.
- Put back in pot and re cook with salt and chili blend, to taste.
- Prepare you corn shucks. Wash in sink about 3 or 4 warm water rinses. Leave soaking in warm water until ready to use.
- Separate leaves of shucks, rub your masa mix on the rough side leaving room to fold top under.
Add 1 heaping tablespoon of meat mixture down the middle of masa mix.
- Fold the sides toward each other and the top under.
- COOKING THE TAMALES:
You will need a 12 x 12 stock pot or tamale steamer.
Lay some shuck leaves in the bottom of the pot.
Use a small heat proof cup in the middle of the pot.
- Stack the tamales at an angle all around cup all the way to the top.
- Pour in 3 cups of water and cover with a wet clean white towel. Cook until done.