Sausage and Vegetable Stew/Soup
- 2 tube(s)
- breakfast sausage (any flavor)
- 1 medium
- onion cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/2 c
- celery, 1 inch slices
- 1 c
- carrots (baby or thickly sliced)
- 1 large
- bell pepper (1 inch dice)
- 2 c
- summer squash (green or yellow) thickly sliced or diced
- 2 c
- chicken broth
- 1 can(s)
- diced tomato (any flavor)
How to Make Sausage and Vegetable Stew/Soup
- 1Brown saugage in a deep stew pot or dutch oven until no longer pink. As it cooks, break meat into large 2-inch chunks (bite-sized), do not drain.
- 2Once the meat is cooked, add onion, carrot, celery, and bell pepper (do not add squash yet) and cook until carrots and celery are mostly tender.
- 3Once the veggies are mostly tender, add the squash,chicken broth, and the entire can (juice and all) of tomatoes. Cover and simmer until all veggies are tender.
- 4Notes: You can add other spices (thyme, garlic, cayenne, basil, etc.) if you like, but I never have. The seasoning in the sausage and the salt in the tomatoes and broth seem to be plenty for the dish. That said, if you use low-sodium broth or plain, low sodium tomatoes, extra seasonings might be needed. I usually use Hot Jimmy Dean sausage and Hunts, Spicy Red Pepper tomatoes. The result is delicious and can be eaten as a soup or a stew over rice or noodles. ENJOY!