Rigatoni alla Toto
Notes from the book: Toto is an affordable Trattoria in the center of Rome that turns out unassuming and delicious meals like this meaty pasta. Make it when you’re craving something soothing and satisfying that won’t tax you. It’s one of those beautifully adaptable dishes that are quick enough for a weeknight yet elegant enough for your best company. While the creamy sauce simmers, you can have a salad made, the table set and the wine uncorked.
- 3 tbsp.. olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb. sweet italian sausage, with or without fennel, casings removed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- a few fresh basil leaves
- pinch ground fennel seed if using plain sausage
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 lb. rigatoni
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano
How to Make Rigatoni alla Toto
- 1Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook til translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sausage, brown on all sides, then add wine and cook for 1 minute. Add basil, ground fennel if using, and cream and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or til sausage is cooked through.
- 2Meanwhile, bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook rigatoni in boiling water til al dente. Drain well and toss with sauce. Serve at once with Parmigiano Reggiano. Serves 4
- 3Grind whole fennel seed by crushing it with a mortar and pestle or by chopping it on a cutting board with a large knife.