Recipe: The Country Cooking of Ireland
4 Tbspbutter or bacon fat
4 to 5 slicebacon, chopped
1 mediumonion, thinly sliced
4 or 5 mediumwhite potatoes, thinly sliced
·salt and pepper
1 1/2 cirish cheddar, grated (google kerrygoldusa.com to find a store that sells this)
How to Make PANHAGGERTY
- Melt half the butter or bacon fat in a large oven-proof skillet, over low heat. Fry the bacon, stirring frequently for 10 to 15 minutes, until crispy. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Cook the onions in the same skillet for 6 to 8 minutes, until soft but not brown. Remove and add to the bacon, mixing them together.
- Remove pan from heat and carefully lay a thin layer of potatoes on the bottom of the pan so that they completely cover the surface. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover with a layer of onions and bacon, about half of them, then a layer of cheese, about a third of it.
- Add a layer of half the remaining potatoes and season lightly. Cover with all the remaining onions and bacon, then a layer of half the remaining cheese. Finish with a layer of the remaining potatoes and again season lightly.
- Drizzle the remaining butter or bacon fat over the final layer of potatoes. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with the remaining cheese. Place under broiler for 3 to 4 minutes until the cheese has melted and begun to brown. Serve immediately.