Huli Huli Pork
2 lbpork tenderloin
1/3 creduced-sodium soy sauce
3 Tbspbrown sugar, packed
3 Tbspsweet mirin cooking wine (or lime juice)
1 Tbspgrated fresh ginger
4 clovegarlic, minced
1 largelime wedge, for garnish
1 sprig(s)fresh herb, for garnish
How to Make Huli Huli Pork
- Place pork in a large, heavy zip-lock plastic bag set in a shallow dish; set aside.
- For marinade, in a small bowl combine ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, wine (or lime juice), ginger and garlic. Remove 1 cup of the mixture to a small bowl; cover and chill until needed. Pour remaining mixture over pork; seal bag. Marinate in refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
After marinating, drain pork.
- FOR CHARCOAL GRILL, arrange coals around a drip pan. Test for medium-high heat above the pan. Place pork on grill rack over pan. Cover and grill 20 minutes. Brush with 1/4 cup of the reserved marinade. Cover and grill 15-20 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer registeres 155°F when inserted into thickest part of the meat.
FOR GAS GRILL, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium-high. Adjust for indirect cooking, and grill as directed above.
- Remove pork from grill. Cover pork with foil and let stand 10 minutes before slicing. (The pork will rise another 5°F during standing.).
- Meanwhile, place reserved 3/4 cup of marinade in a small saucepan, and heat through. Pass the sauce with the pork.
- Garnish with lime wedges and sprigs of fresh herbs.