Hash Brown Taters with Dogs
5 cupsfrozen hash browns, thawed (5 cups = 16 oz.)
1 can(10-3/4 oz.) cream of mushroom soup, (*see note)
1 cupsour cream
1 cup(4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 (3 oz.)pkg. french-fried onions
8jumbo size franks, cut lengthwise (but not all the way through)
How to Make Hash Brown Taters with Dogs
- Combine potatoes, soup, sour cream, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Spread in a greased 2-1/2 to 4-quart size baking dish. (I used a 4-quart size oval baking dish).
- Top with the partially sliced franks (slice size up).
- Cover, and bake 30 minutes in a 400 degree oven. (I did not cover the casserole, and it turned out great! But I think that's because I used jumbo sized franks, so they didn't over bake).
- Remove, uncover, and top with the other 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, and the French fried onions.
- Place casserole back in the oven, (uncovered) and continue baking for 2-3 more minutes. (Just until the cheese has melted, and French Fried Onions are lightly browned).
- *Note: You can substitute soups in this recipe. You could use either cream of celery or cream of chicken soup, in place of the cream of mushroom soup.