Grilled Pineapple Pork Sandwiches
I pinkie promise that this recipe has nothing to do with my personal love and adoration of grilled pineapple and everything to do with making something nice and meat-lovery for Dad. See how thoughtful I am?
Here’s the thing about me + meat.
I could usually do fine without it. Tofu and veggies of the honey ginger garlic variety has me totally captivated.
But pork is in a meat category all its own for me and I do not care to find out what life would be like without it. I mean, hullo? Bacon? And breakfast sausage? and adobo, and carnitas, and chorizo, and humba?
- 2 1/2 lb
- pork shoulder or pork butt
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 large
- red onion, diced
- 2 large
- red bell peppers, diced
- 2 large
- jalapenos, diced (keep the seeds for a little heat)
- 1 c
- pineapple juice
- 1/2 c
- soy sauce
- king's hawaiian sandwich buns
- 1 small
- pineapple, peeled and cored
- 1/4 c
- fresh cilantro, for topping
How to Make Grilled Pineapple Pork Sandwiches
- 1Place the pork shoulder, garlic, onion, peppers, jalapeno, pineapple juice, and soy sauce in a slow cooker.
- 2Cover and cook for 4-5 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.
- 3Shred directly in the slow cooker with two forks.
- 4Cover a baking sheet with foil and preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- 5Use tongs to transfer the meat to the covered baking sheet, letting the extra juice drip off back into the slow cooker before transferring, otherwise you'll have a big mess on your hands.
- 6Arrange the meat in an even layer and bake for 15 minutes or until some of the pieces are turning golden brown.
- 7Mine actually turned a reddish golden brown, which is fine - the color is from the red peppers.
- 8Remove the meat from the oven and gently toss all the pieces with tongs. Drizzle with a little bit of juice from the slow cooker.
- 9Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- 10Cut the pineapple into rings and cut each ring in half.
- 11When the skillet is hot, add the pineapple slices and "grill" them for a few minutes on each side to get a nice golden brown color, or you could grill them for real on the actual grill.
- 12Arrange the meat and pineapple on each sandwich bun and sprinkle with a tiny bit of cilantro for some fresh green color.
- 13Use the juice in the slow cooker to re-moisten the meat or give a little extra shine to the pineapple slices