Grilled Pineapple Pork Sandwiches
I pinkie promise that this recipe has nothing to do with my personal love and adoration of grilled pineapple and everything to do with making something nice and meat-lovery for Dad. See how thoughtful I am?
Here’s the thing about me + meat.
I could usually do fine without it. Tofu and veggies of the honey ginger garlic variety has me totally captivated.
But pork is in a meat category all its own for me and I do not care to find out what life would be like without it. I mean, hullo? Bacon? And breakfast sausage? and adobo, and carnitas, and chorizo, and humba?
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 1/2 lbpork shoulder or pork butt
2 clovegarlic, minced
1 largered onion, diced
2 largered bell peppers, diced
2 largejalapenos, diced (keep the seeds for a little heat)
1 cpineapple juice
1/2 csoy sauce
8king's hawaiian sandwich buns
1 smallpineapple, peeled and cored
1/4 cfresh cilantro, for topping
How to Make Grilled Pineapple Pork Sandwiches
- Place the pork shoulder, garlic, onion, peppers, jalapeno, pineapple juice, and soy sauce in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 4-5 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.
- Shred directly in the slow cooker with two forks.
- Cover a baking sheet with foil and preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Use tongs to transfer the meat to the covered baking sheet, letting the extra juice drip off back into the slow cooker before transferring, otherwise you'll have a big mess on your hands.
- Arrange the meat in an even layer and bake for 15 minutes or until some of the pieces are turning golden brown.
- Mine actually turned a reddish golden brown, which is fine - the color is from the red peppers.
- Remove the meat from the oven and gently toss all the pieces with tongs. Drizzle with a little bit of juice from the slow cooker.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Cut the pineapple into rings and cut each ring in half.
- When the skillet is hot, add the pineapple slices and "grill" them for a few minutes on each side to get a nice golden brown color, or you could grill them for real on the actual grill.
- Arrange the meat and pineapple on each sandwich bun and sprinkle with a tiny bit of cilantro for some fresh green color.
- Use the juice in the slow cooker to re-moisten the meat or give a little extra shine to the pineapple slices