Fully Loaded Red Beans & Rice
3 to 4 ribcelery
2 to 3 Tbspminced garlic
1 boxchicken broth
1 bag(s)red kidney beans light or dark
1water add as needed
1 pkgsalt pork
1 bag(s)chopped ham
1 Tbspcajun seasoning
1 to two s dash(es)pepper
1 bag(s)5 minute white rice
How to Make Fully Loaded Red Beans & Rice
- Get a large pot. Pour entire box of chicken broth in. Set on stove on medium low.
- Place beans in bowl of water and set aside.
- Wash and dice or chop all vegetables. Add garlic, celery, onion, bell pepper to pot.
- Sift through beans. Pull out the bad looking ones. Watch out for small debris. Add cleaned beans to pot. Discard bean water.
- Cut salt pork into cubes. Use as much or as little as you want. I usually get 1 to 2 pounds of it. Add to pot.
- Add ham to pot. I get the fully cooked version.
- Add spices to pot. Add bay leaves. Stir.
- Keep heat at medium until gently boiling. You will need to stir the pot several times.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Add water as needed and you will need to add it off and on. I add somewhere between 6 and 7 cups as I cook it.
- After a few hours of gently boiling, check beans for plumping. If they look plump, reduce heat and cover for 2 hours.
- Beans will be fully cooked when they can be mashed and are no longer hard. Broth will be thickened.
- For rice:
I like to add mine in the pot at the end to suck up all the broth. I throw in a bag and let it cook for however long the package says. Five minute rice is quick and easy.
If you wish to have rice as a side and not in the beans, make as directed in another pot or bowl.
- Serve when done!