Crock Pot Cheesy Tortellini
- 1 lb
- ground sausage
- 8 oz
- low-fat cream cheese
- 19 oz
- frozen cheese tortellini
- 5 oz
- fresh baby spinach (i used all of a 6-oz bag, and it worked well)
- 28 oz
- italian-style diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 3-4 c
- low-sodium chicken broth (start with 3 cups and add 1 (or more) cups as needed for consistency)
- 2 tsp
- fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tsp
- dried oregano
How to Make Crock Pot Cheesy Tortellini
- 1Brown the sausage in a skillet. Drain fat, and add cooked sausage to crock pot.
- 2Slice cream cheese into several small chunks and soften (about 30 seconds or so) in microwave oven to help it melt thoroughly during slow cooking. Add softened cream cheese to crock pot.
- 3Add all remaining ingredients to crock pot. Place lid on crock pot, cook on low for 3 1/2 to 5 hours, stirring about half through the cooking time, or until tortellini is cooked through and the sauce is of a creamy texture. Stir well, and serve hot.
If sauce is too "soupy", leave lid on for last half hour or so of cooking.
If you use nuefchatel cheese (instead of low-fat cream cheese), keep in mind that it doesn't melt as thoroughly as cream cheese, and it tends to leave small curds.