CRISPY BACON, PARMESAN GNOCCHI
How to Make CRISPY BACON, PARMESAN GNOCCHI
- 1Peel and quarter potatoes and cook them in a pot of salted boiling water until fork tender.
- 2While the potatoes are boiling, cook the bacon in a skillet until well done. Don’t get rid of the fat in the pan!!! Remove bacon to a paper towel, and chop it up once it’s cool enough to handle.
- 3When potatoes are done, mash them with a potato masher (or put them through a ricer). Add the egg, flour, chopped bacon, parmesan cheese, and a tablespoon of the rendered bacon grease.
- 4Knead ingredients gently, until everything comes together. The mixture should be ever so slightly wet. (You can add more bacon grease if you need to).
- 5Form the dough into a ball and cut it into 4 pieces. Between your palms and a plastic cutting board, roll the dough until it’s a rope about ½ inch in width. With a sharp knife, cut the rope into ½ inch pieces. Repeat for the remaining dough.
- 6Using the back side of a fork, gently roll each ball down the tines with your thumb to get the gnocchi shape.
- 7When all your gnocchi are made, put half of them in a large pot of boiling, salted water. When they begin to float, wait 5 more minutes and then remove them to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Repeat for the remaining gnocchi.
- 8Once the gnocchi are finished, reheat the remaining bacon grease with an additional tablespoon of butter. (You may need more butter if you had to us a lot of the bacon grease in the gnocchi dough). When the butter is melted, add the gnocchi to the pan and cook til they start to brown. Season to taste with salt and pepper, garnish with a little more grated parmesan, and serve.