Comforting Potato & Chorizo Skillet
Potatoes such as these, to me are a true comfort food, hence the name...
I served these potatoes and sausage along side of my Delicious & Colorful Bean Salad...needless to say, hubby was quite satisfied...enjoy!
- 2 lb
- red potatoes, washed and par cooked in microwave- then cubed
- 1/4 tsp
- each - red pepper, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, black pepper
- optional - taste finished potatoes first, as sausage has salt and may not need
- 3 - 4 Tbsp
- oil or more if needed
- 3 - 4
- links johnstonville - chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1/2 c
- chopped, sweet onion
- 1/2 c
- each - red & green bell pepper, chopped
- 8 oz
- fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 clove
- garlic, thin sliced
- 3 - 4 oz
- shredded, colby / monterey cheese or monterey jack
How to Make Comforting Potato & Chorizo Skillet
- 2Prepare the potatoes. I wash, cut a slit in each potato and place in microwave for about 10 minutes.( if some are smaller than others, keep checking so not to over cook.) They should be almost cooked, but not over cooked, as you don't want them mushy.
Once cool enough to handle, cube into bite sized pieces.
- 3Saute veggies while potatoes cook:
In the same pan as you browned the sausage; make sure you drained grease from sausage and add about 1 tablespoon oil. Over medium heat, saute the onions and peppers. When soft and and onions begin to turn translucent; add the mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms are browning, and most of the liquid from the mushrooms evaporate, if any.
Add the sliced garlic, and cook another couple minutes, stirring so garlic doesn't burn. Set aside
- 4Coat the bottom of a medium to large skillet with oil.( I always use my iron skillet over medium to low heat.) If using regular skillet, turn heat to medium high and once oil shimmers, add your potato cubes with seasonings. Let them cook till forming a nice crust then move around with spatula and continue cooking until evenly browned. ( you may need to add more oil during the browning process.)