Mary Ann Hanson
- chunk pork loin
- morton tenderquick salt
- sugar (i use brown)
How to Make Canadian Bacon
- 1Trim piece of pork loin and weigh.
- 2For each pound of pork measure 1 tablespoon of Tenderquick and 1 teaspoon of sugar. I have tried white but prefer brown. Mix well.
- 3Place pork in a zip lock bag. Add salt and sugar mixture and massage into meat.
- 4Refrigerate for 3-5 days turning and massaging daily. I just go the five days for about 2 pounds of pork. Five days should work for even more pounds of pork as the thickness of the loin should be the same. Go the three days for less.
- 5When done curing, remove pork from the bag and soak in cold water for 1/2 hour. Pat dry.
- 6Let set in the refrigerator for a few hours until slightly dry.
- 7Slice thinly and fry in a little oil in a pan until brown on both sides. Enjoy.
- 8This takes a long time but is very little effort. It is soooooo good. It does not look like the processed Canadian Bacon you buy in the store. It looks like real meat. Tastes like it too!
- 9You can slice and freeze this for future use.