Beef or Pork Liver, With Bacon and Onions (For 2)
- 6 slices
- bacon (use thin sliced bacon)
- 3 large
- onions, sliced thin
- salt & pepper, to season the onions and liver
- 1/2 lb.
- beef or pork liver, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup
- butter flavor all-vegetable shortening
How to Make Beef or Pork Liver, With Bacon and Onions (For 2)
- 1In a 12-inch skillet, cook the bacon slices. (This should take about 20 minutes.)
- 2Remove bacon slices from skillet, and set aside, but DO NOT drain off the bacon grease.
- 3To the bacon grease in skillet, add the sliced onions; season with salt and pepper. Cook onion slices over medium to medium-high heat, for about 15 minutes; stirring often.
- 4Remove onions from the skillet, and set aside, but DO NOT drain off any of the bacon grease. To the skillet, add a couple tablespoons of the Buttered Flavored Crisco.
- 5In a shallow bowl, add the flour; sprinkle in some of the salt and pepper. Lightly dust liver in the flour, add to the skillet, and cook liver over medium heat; till lightly browned on both sides. This doesn't take very long, so watch and turn liver quickly, so it doesn't burn in skillet. Remove cooked liver from the skillet, and set aside on a plate.
- 6Add the sliced onions back to the skillet. Place liver on top of the cooked onions, then top the liver with the bacon slices. Cover skillet with a lid; cook the liver, bacon and onions over low heat (a low simmer) for exactly 15 minutes.
- 7Turn off heat; remove the liver, bacon, and onions, and place on a serving platter or plate to serve.
- 8Note: You may think the 3 large onions is a bit too much for this recipe, but it's not. The onions do cook down quite a bit.