Bacon Wrapped, Stuffed Mini Peppers
Blue Ribbon Recipe
These little babies are dynamite! The filling's full of meat and creamy cheesy sauce and the jalapeno bacon wrapped around the sweet pepper adds a little bite. They'd be great at a dinner party but would also spice up a tailgate The Test Kitchen
20mini orange and yellow peppers (or whatever color you prefer)
2bone-in chicken thighs with skin
20 slicemild jalapeño bacon
1 lbapplewood bacon
1/2 lbcrumbled Gorgonzola cheese
4 ozcremini mushrooms
1 smallred onion
1 chalf and half
1 Tbspall-purpose flour
1 Tbspsalted butter
·salt and pepper
How to Make Bacon Wrapped, Stuffed Mini Peppers
- On a foil-lined baking sheet, rub chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper, and bake @ 425 for 30 minutes or until juices run clear. Set aside to cool. Place applewood bacon on a rack set over a cookie sheet and place in the same oven for 20 minutes. Remove when done but not crunchy. Slice into ribbons the short way and set aside.
- Thinly slice the onions and mushrooms. Using 1/2 the rendered chicken fat, cook the onions over a medium-low heat until they are caramel in color, but not burned or crunchy. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. Using the remaining chicken fat, cook the mushrooms over a medium heat until they are soft. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add flour and butter and cook or about 1 minute until it is a light amber. Add the ½ and ½. Once the mixture begins to thicken, add the crumbled Gorgonzola cheese about a handful at a time, stirring constantly until the cheese is melted. Add about 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.
- Remove the chicken skin and discard. Shred the chicken with your hands and add to the cheese sauce. Add the ribbons of applewood bacon to the sauce.
- Beginning at the open end of each pepper, wrap one slice of bacon around it the long way, making sure to cover the hole with the bacon. The bacon should meet, with a little but of overlap. Cut the excess of the slice of bacon and wrap it around the pepper the other way. (It will kind of look like you are wrapping a ribbon around a present). Secure the bacon to the pepper with a toothpick. Repeat for all the peppers.
- Serve 5 peppers with a nice tossed salad for dinner, or serve them on a platter as appetizers.