Walla Walla Sweet Onion & Chanterelle Pizza
2 1/4 tsprapid or fast acting yeast (one packet)
1 1/2 tspwhite sugar
1 cwarm water
3 Tbspextra virgin olive oil
3 cbread flour
2heads roasted garlic
1/4 cextra virgin olive oil
2 largewalla walla onions, peeled and sliced
2 csliced chanterelle mushrooms
1 1/2 tspdried thyme
8 slicesmoked provolone cheese, thick sliced
2 cfull fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
How to Make Walla Walla Sweet Onion & Chanterelle Pizza
- Dough-in your food processor add yeast, sugar and warm water.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, salt and 2 cups flour.
- Pulse 5 or 6 times until well incorporated.
- Add 1/2 cup of the remaining flour-pulse 5 or 6 times. Set remaining flour aside for rolling.
- Turn dough out onto counter-knead about 10 times to form into a ball.
- Place 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil into a large mixing bowl, add the dough ball, give it a good toss to cover dough with oil.
- Cover bowl with a clean tea towel and set in a warm spot until doubled in size. This is going to take around 30 minutes.
- While the dough is rising preheat oven to 450 degrees. You want it HOT.
- In a large skilled over medium heat sauté onions for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add sliced mushrooms, sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in thyme, remove from heat and set aside. Do not cover your onion/mushroom mixture-they will sweat to much if you do.
- In a medium bowl squeeze out your roasted garlic and mash well with 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil. You want a paste that is still a little fluid so add EVOO until it's spreadable.
- Flour your counter well.
- At this point it's up to you. We like a thin crust so I roll my dough out onto the counter, punch it down, divide, and take 1/2 putting it into a oil lined freezer bag to use for another night. If you like a medium crust use the whole recipe.
- Roll dough into a large circle, making sure to run a spatula under it from time to time so it doesn't stick to the counter.
- Once you have your dough rolled out sprinkle pizza pan with cornmeal.
- To transfer dough to your pan I find it easiest to simply roll the dough over the rolling pin, then unroll over the pan.
- Tuck under any dough that's hanging over the rim of your pan.
- Evenly spread your roasted garlic and olive oil blend over top of your dough.
- Evenly spread your onion-mushroom mixture over the garlic spread.
- Layer on the cheese, starting with the smoked provolone, then the mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 minutes in your preheated oven. We like to broil ours for an additional 3 to 4 minutes so the top is nicely browned-up to you.
- Remove from oven-let stand for 5 minutes, cut and serve.