Lisa's Pizza Margherita
This makes 4 pizzas! You can bake 2 at a time in the oven, just switch them halfway through.
This was written for the use of a stand mixer, but you can knead with your hands.
I use round pizza pans with holes in the bottom for browning. Cheaper than a peel and stone and works great.
3 cwarm water
2 Tbspactive dry yeast
3 Tbspolive oil
6 call-purpose flour
1 can(s)(28 oz.) san marzano tomatoes
4 clovegarlic, chopped
2 Tbspolive oil
6basil leaves, torn
3/4 tspsea salt
·pizza sauce (recipe included here)
1 1/2 lbwhole milk mozzarella, sliced thin and torn into pieces
20fresh basil leaves
4 clovegarlic, chopped (optional)
How to Make Lisa's Pizza Margherita
- IMPORTANT: If you are using a stand mixer and your stand mixer is smaller than 6 quarts., split the dough ingredients in half and make two separate batches in your mixer.
STEPS 1 THRU 4 ARE FOR THE DOUGH:
Proof yeast in warm water with the sugar for 5 min.
- Add flour and salt to stand mixer bowl. Add liquid to dry ingredients; add oil. Knead on stand-mixer for 2-5 min. after dough comes together.
If you do not have a stand mixer, you can do this by hand: Mix the dough in a large mixing bowl in two separate batches (read note in Step 1 regarding stand mixer size); turn dough out onto a floured counter top or large cutting board; knead dough for five minutes.
- Dough will be on the sticky side. Oil a large bowl (or two bowls if spitting it in half) and the dough to coat; cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel and allow it to set for 30 min. in a warm place.
- After 30 min., deflate the dough very gently and put it on a board. Divide it into four portions.
- STEPS 5 THRU 7 ARE FOR THE SAUCE:
Pour the tomatoes into a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. If you do not have either of those machines, pour the tomatoes out into a large bowl and crush them with your hands, removing any tough cores.
- Into a large, straight-sided non-stick skillet pour 2 T olive oil; add chopped garlic. Turn on heat to medium-low and bring oil up to temperature to sauté the garlic for about 2 min., just until it is fragrant and tender.
- Add tomatoes, basil leaves, salt, and sugar to the pan. Turn heat up and bring to a boil. Turn heat back to medium and simmer the sauce for 15 minutes (do not cover with a lid).
- STEPS 8 THRU ARE FOR THE ASSEMBLY OF THE PIZZAS:
Preheat oven to 475 degrees F for at least 30 minutes, up to one hour.
- Toss some flour onto pizza pans. Stretch each dough and place onto pizza pans, keeping any dough balls not being used covered to avoid a skin from forming.
- Drizzle stretched dough with a little bit of olive oil. Place a couple of large spoonfuls of sauce on top and spread to the edge, leaving a 1-inch crust. Tear and break the basil leaves and put them on top of the sauce. Next, top with sliced mozzarella. Drizzle with a little bit more olive oil. Scatter around the chopped garlic pieces, if using. Sprinkle pizza with a pinch of salt.
- Bake pizza for 10 minutes. If baking two pizzas at a time on top and bottom oven shelves, switch them at the 5-minute mark.
Can drizzle with a little more olive oil before slicing.