White Macaroni & Cheese
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
8 Tbspbutter, unsalted, plus more for dish
6 slicegood white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces
5 1/2 cmilk
1/2 call purpose flour
1/4 tspblack pepper
1/4 tspcayenne pepper, or to taste
4 1/2 csharp white cheddar cheese, grated
2 cgruyere cheese, grated or
1 1/4 cpecorino romano cheese
1 lbelbow macaroni
·sour cream (optional)
How to Make White Macaroni & Cheese
- Heat oven to 375°. Butter a 3 quart caserole dish; set aside. Place the bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into bowl with bread and toss. Set the bread crumbs aside.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat the milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a medium pot over medium heat. When butter bubbles add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- While whisking slowly pour in hot milk. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cups gruyere or 1 cup pecorino romano; set cheese sauce aside.
- Fill a large saucepan with water; bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 minutes less than manufacturer's directions until the outside of pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone. Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.
- Pour mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup gruyere or 1/4 cup pecorino romano, and bread crumbs over top. Bake until browned on top, 45 to 60 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream if desired.