Stuffed Jumbo Pasta Shells
- uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 32 oz
- spaghetti sauce with or without meat (or make your own)
- 15 oz
- ricotta cheese
- 4 oz
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 c
- grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 tsp
- ground pepper
- 2 large
- olive oil
- dried italian seasoning
- additional parmesan cheese, if desired
- 1 c
- pesto sauce
How to Make Stuffed Jumbo Pasta Shells
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 minutes. Drain and cool immediately with cold water. You want them to be a little firm yet, for they will continue to cook in the sauce in the oven. Drain and place open side down on paper towels.
- 2In large bowl, stir together ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, parsley, pepper, and eggs until completely combined.
- 3Spread the spaghetti sauce evenly into a 9 x 13 baking pan. (When using jarred sauce instead of making my own, I always add 1/2 tsp. each of italian seasoning, dried oregano leaves, and garlic powder).
- 4Stuff the shells with the cheese mixture and place in 4 x 6 rows on top of the spaghetti sauce in pan, leaving a little space between them. To make stuffing the pasta shells easier, I put my filling into a disposable pastry bag. If you don’t have a pastry bag, you can put it into a Ziploc bag and cut a corner off. Pipe cheese filling into shells.
- 5Brush the tops with olive oil with a pastry blush. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- 6Cover loosely with foil and bake about 45 minutes or until hot and the cheese is set.
- 7Let rest for about 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve with pesto sauce. Yields: 3 shells and 2 TBS. pesto sauce per person.