Ricotta Gnocchi in Brown Butter Sage Sace
- 8 oz
- whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 large
- 1/2 c
- grated parmesan plus more for topping
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 c
- all purpose flour plus more for surface
- 3 oz
- pancetta diced small
- 1/2 stick
- unsalted butter
- fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 c
- frozen peas thawed
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh lemon zest
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
How to Make Ricotta Gnocchi in Brown Butter Sage Sace
- 1In a large bowl combine the ricotta, eggs, parmesan cheese, salt and flour.
- 2Knead until just incorporated into a soft dough (mine was very soft). Do not overwork or gnocchi will become tough.
- 3On a well floured surface shape the dough into two ropes about 1"x18" inches each. (I had lots of trouble with the long ropes so I made 4 shorter ones).
- 4Using a floured butter knife slice into 1" pieces. With the tip of your index finger indent each piece as this will later help sauce stick to the pasta (I dipped my finger into water before indenting each gnocchi so my finger wouldn't stick to the dough)
- 5Bring a large pot of boiling, salted water to a rolling boil.
- 6Add gnocchi, in small batches (I added to the batch one at a time so they would remain separate) and boil until they float, about 2 or 3 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile brown pancetta in a large skillet over medium-high heat . (I browned the pancetta first and let it sit until the gnocchi was in the pot and re-heated when adding next ingredients)
- 8Add butter and sage leaves.
- 9Cook until butter begins to brown - about two minutes.
- 10With a slotted spoon remove gnocchi from the pot and drop into the skillet.
- 11Lightly brown on both sides, tossing often, for about 3 minutes.
- 12Add peas and lemon zest, toss and cook until heated through.
- 13Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- 14Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.